Thursday, November 25, 2010

Balicki: GCAA HoF nod comes as great honor

I’ve pretty much kept things low key. I guess that’s because I’m not one who likes to pat himself on the back. But I do feel it’s time I need to express some of my thoughts and feelings.

As many of you know, a couple of weeks ago it was announced that I have been elected for induction into the Golf Coaches Association of America Hall of Fame. Since the announcement, I have received tons of e-mails, phone calls and old-fashiond snail mail notes of congratulations. I am truly grateful for each and every one of them.

There are some great coaches in the GCAA Hall of Fame and to now think that yours truly – yes, Wrong Ron himself – will join them is to me totally mind boggling.

Talk about the honor of all honors. I can’t come close to explaining what this means to me.

I’ve been covering college golf for close to half my life and to be recognized for my contributions and the things I’ve done – and especially recognized by the coaches – is something I will always treasure. And, to be the first non-coach elected for induction, has me spinning into another galaxy.

The induction ceremony will take place Monday night, Dec. 6 as part of the annual GCAA Convention, this year at the Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas. I can’t wait.

What an evening it should be, and not just for me. I am honored to be joining coaches Steve Desimone (California), Kyle Blazer (Oklahoma City), Mike Carlisle (South Carolina-Aiken), Bob Alpers (St. John’s, Minn.), Bobby Cornett (Texas Wesleyan) and Floyd Horgan (Centenary and Brevard Community College) in this year’s induction class.

How great it will be to also share this special evening with former California State-Stanislaus coach Jim Hanny, who will receive the GCAA’s Honor Award; Williams College coach Rick Pohle, recipient of the Labron Harris Sr. Award presented by E-Z Go; and the Friends of Golf (FOG), the first organization to earn the GCAA’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

It’s Thanksgiving 2010 and I certainly have a lot of things for which to be thankful. Being inducted into the GCAA Hall of Fame is without a doubt one of those things.

A happy and blessed Thanksgiving to all of you.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment