Saturday, December 4, 2010

Myrtle Beach's Golson will join Notre Dame, not North Carolina

MYRTLE BEACH -- The NCAA investigation into the University of North Carolina football program may not be the reason Everett Golson rescinded his commitment to the school, but it led him to explore other options.

In doing so, Golson discovered something he found more enchanting in South Bend, Ind.

Myrtle Beach High's heavily recruited senior quarterback rescinded the verbal commitment he gave the Tar Heels in February and in turn verbally committed Thursday to play at Notre Dame.

"The NCAA investigation kind of helped me look at other schools," said Golson, who is leading the Seahawks (13-1) into Saturday's Class AAA state championship game against South Pointe. "It kind of branched me out to really want to experience another school and university.

"... Right now I'm in the stage where I'm kind of realizing the best opportunity for me, and I feel Notre Dame gives me that opportunity."

The NCAA investigation into UNC is delving into possible impermissible player involvement with agents and possible academic misconduct. Findings of the investigation and fallout from it, including any sanctions against the program, may not to be known for several months, and that could come after Golson enrolls in college.

He expects to complete his academic requirements for graduation in early January and intends to enroll in classes at Notre Dame by mid-January.

"[The NCAA investigation] really didn't have a major part to do with [the decision], but it had a small factor in it, and I think it's only right that it should have a small factor in it," Golson said. "North Carolina was my childhood favorite. I kind of grew up always wanting to go to North Carolina. After I matured I had to go for what was best for me and my future and my family."

Golson has maintained since his commitment to UNC that he wants to play college basketball besides football. Though he said he likely would have committed to Notre Dame had basketball not been an option, it appears to be a possibility.

He said he has spoken to Irish men's basketball coach Mike Brey, whose team is 8-0 and ranked in the top 25, and believes Brey and Irish football coach Brian Kelly have spoken about him playing both sports. "Definitely they sound like they're interested in me playing basketball, also," Golson said.

Golson said that unbeknownst to him, until recently, Notre Dame basketball coaches were monitoring him during summer AAU tournaments, and Irish coaches have been regularly calling Myrtle Beach boys basketball coach Craig Martin.

Golson was swayed toward Notre Dame after a visit to the school the weekend of Nov. 13-14, when the Irish (7-5) defeated then once-beaten Utah.

"I loved the campus when I first went up there," Golson said. "When I was on campus I wanted to commit right then. I guess the mature side of me realized you have to take some time to make this decision. You can't fully go off emotion. So I talked it over with my family and my coaches and set a two-week deadline just to see if I felt the same way I did. I prayed about it a lot and asked for direction, and that's where He led me to."

Golson said he was impressed by the school's campus, architecture, history, fans and academics, and his relationship with both the Irish players and coaches. His formal verbal commitment came after Notre Dame wide receivers coach Tony Alford visited Golson in Myrtle Beach on Wednesday.

Kelly is in his first year with the Irish after coaching Grand Valley State from 1991-2003, Central Michigan from 2004-06 and Cincinnati from 2007-09. The Bearcats had an undefeated regular season last season before losing their bowl game following Kelly's departure.

Charley Molnar is Notre Dame's offensive coordinator, and he runs an offense that mirrors that of Myrtle Beach, with the quarterback in shotgun formation, one running back and three wide receivers in many sets. UNC has a more pro-style offense that balances the run and pass.

"They have a great offense and kind of run something similar to what we run," Golson said. "They throw the ball almost 60 to 70 times a game, so they're going to air it out."

Golson suffered hand and foot injuries in the second game of the season and missed eight games, but he returned for the playoffs. In six games this year he has completed 90 of 133 passes for 1,590 yards with 22 touchdowns and one interception. For his career, Golson is 749 of 1,189 for a completion percentage of 63 percent, with 11,454 yards passing, 148 touchdowns and 25 interceptions.

Golson said one of the most difficult things he has ever done was make the call to Tar Heels offensive line coach Sam Pittman, who primarily recruited him, to rescind his verbal commitment.

"I won't lie to you, it hurt me," Golson said. "Because I felt that's where it kind of ended my childhood and I kind of realize where I'm going for the best opportunity. ... I called them and I can't say it's the happiest talk I've ever had, but I guess we got through it."

At UNC, friends and family from the Grand Strand could have easily driven to watch Golson play home games and many away games. At Notre Dame, they'll have to make travel plans and more of an effort.

"There are no worries with that," Golson said. "Notre Dame is on TV week in and week out, so somebody is going to see me whether it's on TV or in person."

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment